View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_Dazed View Post
I think some of us are ruffled by your statements because we live in a prison of sorts.

This is in my brain because it's damaged but not fabricated my emotional mind.

My life was full and active with family, friends, career, independence, and so much more before the accident. My family and I have lost so much.

There is no big payout, no benefit to me to stay this way nor a benefit to my family.

When someone experience a healing or success at kicking a habit they can have a righteous and degrading attitude towards others that can't do the same. The whole, "Well if I can do it anyone can do it!" mentality is detrimental to those not successful, and it's offensive. Healing from this is not a choice.

I'm sure a good attitude helps but if choosing to be healed worked, most would not be injured or sick in this world.

I am happy for you that you've healed, truly. After 18 months of this catastrophic life changing event I am happy for anyone that can escape the lasting damage of this type of injury.

I'm wondering if your comments come out of ignorance since you healed and are not living with this still. I don't mean that disrespectfully. Just that there may be things you don't know you don't know. We are all ignorant in some way or another. I hope you never know the deeper extend of what many of us go through here.

Jace
Thank you, Jace.

The medical evidence from C.T.E studies is overwhelming: Concussions cause PERMANENT brain damage. Experts, like Dr. Daniel P. Perl, the director of neuropathology at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York agree.

Some people recover better than others after TBI - but nobody's brain will EVER be exactly like it was before the injury.

Ironically, I have found that some of the patients most compromised by brain injury are the ones most convinced that they are fine. Robbed on self-reflection, they are unaware of even the most outrageous aspects of their behaviour.

My neuro psychologist told me that she had a patient who, among other things, simply couldn't accept that his MVA had robbed him of sight in one eye. No objective evidence, including, covering the good eye, could convince him.

I had a gentleman in my rehab group who couldn't understand why he was at the hospital, because he was fine. The poor guy couldn't control his bodily function, swallow properly, focus his eyes, refrain from making sexually inappropriate comments or remember a conversation for more than a few minutes. It was just so sad.

With TBI patients, understatement of symptoms is a much bigger problem than overstatement.

Last edited by Hockey; 06-10-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
allday310 (06-10-2014), Anderson67 (09-02-2014), EsthersDoll (06-11-2014), Living_Dazed (06-10-2014), MiaVita2012 (06-11-2014), Mokey (06-13-2014), MomWriterStudent (06-11-2014), music-in-me (06-10-2014), poetrymom (06-13-2014), SarahSmile0205 (06-11-2014)