View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Thank you, Jace.

The medical evidence from C.T.E studies is overwhelming: Concussions cause PERMANENT brain damage. Experts, like Dr. Daniel P. Perl, the director of neuropathology at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York agree.

Some people recover better than others after TBI - but nobody's brain will EVER be exactly like it was before the injury.

Ironically, I have found that some of the patients most compromised by brain injury are the ones most convinced that they are fine. Robbed on self-reflection, they are unaware of even the most outrageous aspects of their behaviour.

My neuro psychologist told me that she had a patient who, among other things, simply couldn't accept that his MVA had robbed him of sight in one eye. No objective evidence, including, covering the good eye, could convince him.

I had a gentleman in my rehab group who couldn't understand why he was at the hospital, because he was fine. The poor guy couldn't control his bodily function, swallow properly, focus his eyes, refrain from making sexually inappropriate comments or remember a conversation for more than a few minutes. It was just so sad.

With TBI patients, understatement of symptoms is a much bigger problem than overstatement.
Youre right hockey the brain cannot regenerate itself, therefore it will not be the same as before the injury. Our bodies themselves can heal (for the most part) because the body is programmed with stem cells to regenerate losses. The brain for whatever reason does not have stem cells to regenerate itself (Im a molecular, cell and developmental bio major). I can go on and on but the fact is everyone is different
allday310 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Anderson67 (09-02-2014), EsthersDoll (06-11-2014), Hockey (06-10-2014), music-in-me (06-11-2014), SarahSmile0205 (06-11-2014), Theta Z (06-10-2014)