View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowel Lady View Post
I experienced something a little similar.
Did you have a root canal after the pain started?
Root canals are somewhat controversial.
I ended up pulling my tooth and it did NOT help me. I had no pain originally, but was to have a crown put on, many weird things happened and ended up with bad pain. No one actually saw an infection, yet I was given massive dosages of antibiotics and a root canal and then my tooth was pulled. The pain worsened and worsened. I spent thousands and thousands of dollars.
In my case, it was neurological damage very likely caused by the first dentist attempting to put on the crown.
I am surprised a dentist actual used the word "neuralgia" in your presence. Are you in the US?
A Tricyclic medication like Elavil might help.
You might need to get a few opinions before narrowing in on what the the problem or problems are. And neuralgia should be considered.
Unfortunately, you likely need an MRI, but it doesn't always show neurological damage. I have atypical neuralgia and it didn't show up on my MRI. But my pain in the dentist chair was severe , sharp and almost electrical. Afterwards, it is more severe and boring...like a severe pressure...very hard to describe. It is in my jaw, face and ear primarily. Consider seeing other dentists for opinions and a neurologist.
What a very difficult experience. I hope you get some answers soon!
Thank you both for your replies.

You sound EXACTLY like me with what you went through and your pain etc. I haven't had an MRI but have requested one. I don't really want a root canal done, especially since I have yet to see any real evidence that I need one.

You said many weird things happened? What kind of weird things?

I am in America, so maybe that is why the endo was comfortable throwi around words like neuralgia.

I have not had any of the normal infection signs since getting the crown, but prior to the crown I had sensitivity to cold and pressure for abut 7 months. Now I can eat pretty much anything without a problem.

This morning I woke up and I can't move my neck, the back of my head feels like it is on fire and my ear canal feels like it is bleeding, although there is no sign of any blood - not going to go poking around in there to find out though. I think some of this is due to the fact I possibly clench my teeth, although I do now wear a mouth guard at night.

I hope they can figure this out - I have two young children and can't live like this.

Bryanna, I'm not sure I really think it is an infection. It may be that the original crack went further than they thought and it is not being picked up by X-ray. I do not have a copy of the X-rays to give you. I will talk to all the dentists I have consulted to see if I can get a hold of them.

Seriously, this morning I am in so much pain I almost went to the ER but instead I am going to go to my endo appt at 1 and see what they suggest this time.
Popple is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote