Thread: Is it insulin?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
I know there have been many discussions here on the potential link between insulin resistance in Type II Diabetes and PD. I am revisiting the topic after seeing this very recent article abstract stating that there is growing evidence that AD is a metabolic disorder resulting in protein misfolding andneurodegeneration. Research in PD is showing a parallel.

It is interesting that two drugs used to treat Type II Diabetes have been in PD clinical trials.

-Laura
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, well...........

There is no doubt that links have been found and I would have to believe that something common is happening in the cellular pathways.

Your post is timely in that they begin recruiting today for the follow-up Exenatide (Byetta) study. It's funded by MJFF (the first study was funded by The Cure Parkinson's Trust). I think it's just the London study right now, but there may also be a US based study recruiting soon. The Pioglitazone (Actos) study has been recruiting, albeit slowly, for a while now. Too many side effects for many who have looked into it. I'm hoping that we'll get volunteers quickly for the studies as it's a 60 week study.

I would like to hear if Olsen has any thoughts on this topic...

Thanks,

Gary
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lab rat (06-11-2014)