View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Popple,

I am going to re-post some of your post and answer in bold type to try and keep this easier to follow.

<<I have not had any of the normal infection signs since getting the crown, but prior to the crown I had sensitivity to cold and pressure for abut 7 months. Now I can eat pretty much anything without a problem.>>

NORMAL INFECTION SIGNS CAN BE ABSENT WITH AN INFECTED TOOTH AND XRAYS GENERALLY ONLY SHOW IF THE INFECTION IS LARGE ENOUGH TO BE PICKED UP BY THE RADIATION. COLD SENSITIVITY AND DISCOMFORT TO PRESSURE ARE ALSO INDICATORS OF DECAY AND/OR FRACTURE. THESE ARE ALSO SYMPTOMS OF A CLENCHING OR GRINDING HABIT AS THE FORCEFUL MOTIONS OF THE TEETH GNAWING TOGETHER CAUSE INFLAMMATION TO OCCUR IN THE NERVES OF THE TEETH, THE LIGAMENTS HOLDING THE TEETH IN THE BONE AND THE LIGAMENTS, NERVES AND MUSCLES IN THE FACE/NECK/HEAD/SHOULDERS, ETC. PEOPLE WHO CLENCH/GRIND THERE TEETH ARE ALSO MORE PRONE TO FRACTURING THEIR TEETH

<<This morning I woke up and I can't move my neck, the back of my head feels like it is on fire and my ear canal feels like it is bleeding, although there is no sign of any blood - not going to go poking around in there to find out though. I think some of this is due to the fact I possibly clench my teeth, although I do now wear a mouth guard at night. >>

NOT BEING ABLE TO MOVE YOUR NECK IS NOT INDICATIVE OF NEURALGIA. THE OTHER SYMPTOMS YOU DESCRIBE COULD BE RELATED TO YOUR CLENCHING HABIT AS I STATED ABOVE. IS YOUR NIGHT-GUARD PROFESSIONALLY MADE BY A DENTAL LAB OR IS IT ONE YOU BOUGHT AT THE DRUG OR SPORTS STORE?

<<Bryanna, I'm not sure I really think it is an infection. It may be that the original crack went further than they thought and it is not being picked up by X-ray. I do not have a copy of the X-rays to give you. I will talk to all the dentists I have consulted to see if I can get a hold of them.>>

CRACKED OR FRACTURED TEETH ARE NOT ALWAYS PICKED UP CLINICALLY OR RADIO-GRAPHICALLY. HOWEVER DEPENDING ON THE LOCATION AND SEVERITY OF THE FRACTURE, IT IS COMMON FOR A PATIENT TO COMPLAIN OF VARIOUS WIDESPREAD PAIN AS EACH TOOTH INTRICATELY CORRELATES WITH ASCENDING NERVES, LIGAMENTS, MUSCLES, ETC.

IF THE DENTIST TAKES DIGITAL XRAYS, HE CAN EMAIL THEM TO YOU AND YOU CAN POST THEM HERE. IT IS TYPICAL NOWADAYS FOR PATIENTS TO ASK TO HAVE THEIR XRAYS EMAILED TO THEM.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote