View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

In fact only 10% of patients are considered to be good candidates for the procedure. So in fact the opposite of what you say is true (source american parkinson disease center). Every person is different hence I have no preference for or against DBS in general. I don't agree with the neuro-protective push since there is no proof. And in that I am entitled to my opinion. In fact the more people that do it the more data we have.

I didn't argue at all if you read it. I did encourage informed decisions, expressed concern, and supported asking lots of questions. Nobody read what I actually did say apparently. I pointed out that science does not know how the electric stimuli affects surrounding tissues in the brain...hence my concern about early DBS. We don't know what DBS does or how it works so I did strongly question what possible benefit it can do neuro-protectively if the condition it acts upon (irregular impulses) doesn't exist in the brain yet in early stages.

I also said I wasn't charitable enough to volunteer as a guinea pig for this completely unproven hypothesis of neuro-protectiveness. I didn't tell anybody else what to do or how to speak. My reasoning was that atypical PD (non-progressive) would be inappropriate for DBS and urged caution in the specific instance. The mental deficits, suicide, behavioral issues, and increased risk of falls to exist somewhat with drugs. Drugs however are much less permanent.

I think many surgeons want funding and publishing so they push surgery to achieve that. There are also well meaning docs that just want to help and don't understand the eventualities because we are still learning. I was strongly pushed by many bad docs and a few good ones to get surgery the first year and every one after I was diagnosed. This would have been entirely inappropriate. I would like to help prevent that happening to someone else.

At present there is absolutely no proof that drugs, surgery, or any supplement, condition, etc offers any protection. For that reason I encourage cautious decision making. Some things are more permanent that others. Don't let the desperation, frustration, fear of the future drive decisions. I do get how scary it all is. That's my only interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf1wr View Post
The facts are pretty clear dogma, DBS is far and away the most successful treatment option for PD for those that qualify. Sure there are risks and there have been many failures with the treatment. Same issues with the other treatment options.

With every post you become more negative and argumentative. You are starting to sound like a guy that would argue with a fence post for being in the wrong spot.
d0gma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote