View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Symptom of the Week 6/12-6/19 -Sensory Problems - Numbness, Tingling, etc.

I thought I would include a description this time and found this one from an article in MSFocus. http://www.msfocus.org/article-detai...?articleID=361

"Sensory problems, or disturbances in feeling, are often one of the earliest symptoms of MS and occur in 20 to 50 percent of individuals with the disease. Known as paresthesias, these abnormal sensations include numbness, tingling, burning, and increased sensitivity. Paresthesias may be caused by a number of other factors, including sitting or standing in one position for too long, certain medications, or lack of blood supply to the affected area. Itching, also known as pruritis, may occur as a sensory symptom of MS. While such itching causes the desire to scratch, the scratching can often intensify the itching and cause further damage to the skin. Feelings of tingling, burning or numbness, which are caused by lesions in the central nervous system, are known as dysesthesias. Literally translated from the Greek, this means “bad sensation.” - Ellen Whipple Guthrie, Pharm.D.

I deal with this all the time. I have numbness, tingling, burning in my rib cage, and sensitivity. I also can't feel hot with my hands and arms and have burnt my self more than once. I also seem to be overly sensitive to cold things like ice. I have times where I feel like a bug is crawling on my leg(s) or feet and look but there isn't anything there. One time, I had that feeling and ignored it and kept doing what I was doing. For some reason I looked down and blood was dripping down my shin. I had tripped earlier that day on a wicker basket and it must have cut me.

What are your sensory issues like? What do you experience?
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (06-12-2014), Debbie D (06-12-2014), SallyC (06-12-2014)