Old 06-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckokkinos View Post
Hi everyone and especially Aunt Bean,

Thanks for posting all of this wonderful information on Fava Beans. My father has had PD for a while, and I'm now started to look into Fava and Mucuna. Still trying to find an online store that sells different varieties of seeds, though. I'd like to get the best varieties for our garden.

My dad takes Carb/Leva 25mg/100mg four times a day, and we would like to start replacing some of that with mucuna seed powder capsules or fava beans. I just bought some 650mg Organic mucuna seed powder capsules, and through some research I've found that about 4% of the seed is L-dopa, which would make each capsule contain about 25mg of l-dopa, give or take. Do any of you have recommendations or ideas on how much Sinemet we could or should initially attempt to replace? I was thinking he could cut his pills in half, and take one capsule and one half four times a day instead of four Sinemet. Let me know what you all think!

Thank you Aunt Bean, and thanks again everyone for all of your posts throughout the years.
i don't recommend mucana, i've bought it in bulk and tried a teaspoon at a time and fellt mostly flushed and a few capsule products - can't give you a name, tossed them, and felt nothing. but i'm sure nothing i post will deter you so my advice is start slow, take the mucana at the end of the day, take the same CL during the day and take 1 cap at the end of the day. an extra 25mg won't probably be noticed but if your father feels something you'll have a baseline to work from. if that worries you, then take 50mg of CL as the last dose of the day and add mucana until an affect is felt. rhe reason i would avoid starting it in the morning is that's when your father's CL is at the lowest and he might not feel anything from a mucana since without the carbidopa the l-dopa in the mucana will likely be broken down and even with CL less than 10% of the l-dopa reaches the brain.

so test while at home where your father can accommodate any unexpected side affects or if he's under medicated while experimenting. my logic is add mucan when his CL concentration is highest and you'll notice any l-dopa in the mucana. so if 1 mucana cap is tolerated and helps his pd, then reduce the CL starting at the end of the day and working backwards. but i would go very slow, ya never know what other side affects can happen. this isn't like taking a supplement to just "feel better" or hope it reduces my chances of getting a disease, this is changing something that is the most important thing in your father's life and playing doctor. i hope you realize what you are doing, going from a pharmaceutical which if everyone plays by the rules is safe and consistent from dose to dose to going to plant product where regardless of what is says on the label and good intentions, there's no 100% guarantee as to it's purity or effectiveness. plant protein differs from growing season to growing season, you have no idea how long the bulk mucana has been stored, i'm pretty sure the company packaging it into capsules doesn't grow it, do they test it? mucana is grown where?

may i ask how your dad is doing on CL, how old is he and when he was diagnosed? 400mg is not a large amount of l-dopa. at 25mg of l-dopa/capsule, he would have to take 10grams of capsules.
keep in mind mucana might affect BP as does l-dopa and he's basically eating raw legume flour, just like grinding up non-toasted soybeans, there are a lot of enzymes in there there's a lot of stuff in there besides l-dopa. l-dopa is an amino acid, your body doesn't care if it comes from a bean or a test tube.

as far as FAVA, just how many people have posted here that have taken FAVA of any type that have reported positive results that are any different from taking CL? maybe 1 or 2?

just my opinion.

Last edited by soccertese; 06-14-2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added "take"
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nan Cyclist (06-14-2014), Thelma (10-22-2014)