Thread: B12 deficiency
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I sent you another private message. The newbie status, does not allow them, but you may be close now to being activated.

It is best to take the B12 in the morning, when you have fasted all night (no snacks)..Then wait about an hour for the B12 to get to the intestine. Take with a little water to help the stomach empty quickly. The stomach will normally empty in 20 minutes with fluids only.(this is delayed further if you have gastroparesis nerve damage in the stomach). It is the fiber and volume of the food that soaks up the B12 like a sponge. 1000mcg or 1mg is a tiny amount and that gets lost in the food that is present.

I chew up my B12 tablet and follow with water. Almost all oral forms here are soft and flavored because they can be used under the tongue if desired.
Many people get GI reflux or upset with Bcomplex though... so you can take that with a light meal.

There is a really good B-complex called B-Right by Jarrow which has the methylated folate and B12. I'd recommend this, and because it is not so high dose, you could try that on an empty stomach because of the B12 content. But you don't have to because you take your B12 separately.
http://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formula.../dp/B0016003Z0
We have had many people over the years here use this with great success.

As an aside, this factor was only recently discovered when many thyroid patients were having failures with their medications.
So a doctor did a study and found that taking the thyroid hormone with breakfast was the reason. Most breakfasts have fiber in them, and this was sequestering the hormone and it never got absorbed. So now drugs are given this warning and that is fine, but no one is paying attention to micrograms of B12 which are OTC.... that is why I am so strident about this.

Most vitamins can be taken with food. It is only the B12 that has this problem. We evolved to have acid in our stomach to break up protein, and to have intrinsic factor to scoop up the B12 liberated from that protein (meat etc) and be carried to the intestine where the transcobalamin is to transport it.

If you don't have stomach acid or intrinsic factor, then you are in trouble.
In the past, before this was all understood, pernicious anemia and achlorhydria resulted in many slow lingering deaths. Today use of acid blocking drugs today or metformin, cause low acid conditions and therefore low B12 levels.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote