View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Yes, the parents essentially starve the chicks into drastic
actions from what I have seen on this cam.

Early this morning Ezra and BR got into a huge physical fight over prey that BR was catching at the base of the old nest. He has been rather scarce today as a result. It was a nasty fight and at first the birders thought he was an intruder.

Poor E3 is the smallest and last egg laid. So perhaps BR doesn't think he will survive anyway so is starving him? Like cats and dogs fail to feed the runts of the litter?

I watched the whole thing. It was disturbing IMO. E3 moved off the safe old greenhouse and went to the other hoping a flat surface would bring food. Instead it brought doom.

I hope the rehab people catch him today, and save him and then release him when he is well. Almost 4 hrs of screaming for food. Even E1 took up the cry for him! E1 and E3 were friends in the nest, kissing and preening each other. It was stressful to watch today, and I finally stopped because I couldn't take the crying anymore.

If rehabbed...who will teach him to hunt however? That is the question.

Updates still coming in here:

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (06-15-2014)