Thread: eye contact
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2014, 08:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi everyone,

I had a great deal of trouble keeping my eyes on the person I was talking to, mostly due to distractibility at first. But even now after 5 months of neuro rehab, I still have trouble maintaining eye contact. I don't know if it's continuing distractibility or inattention, but I just can't force my eyes to stay fixed on anything for very long.

My ST told me I had improved a lot with this since I began, but she was always reminding me to focus on her when she was speaking. I also found myself staring at a person during groups long after they had finished saying something, but I continued looking at them, even when they were done speaking. (awkward!!) They usually smiled and pointed to the person actually doing the speaking!!

Thank you, Mokey, for the "things that don't move" explanation. I am also a bilateral hearing aid wearer, ( got them 1 year prior to injury) and I used to read lips to help compensate for my hearing loss, but now I find it is too difficult and just plain exhausting when I try to do it over a small span of time. Maybe this is why I don't tend to focus on the person talking(??) Take care, M-i-m
music-in-me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (06-16-2014), Mokey (06-17-2014), poetrymom (06-18-2014)