View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 04:08 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi Cline, welcome.

First, I think it's important to understand the difference between addiction and dependence.

Briefly, dependence is the body's becoming acclimated to the presence of a substance whose discontinuation or reduction can cause symptoms of physical withdrawal.

Addiction is a psychological manifestation characterized by behaviors that may include impaired control over substance use, compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.

Also important is the term/concept of tolerance, which is the body's becoming accustomed to the presence of a substance over time, requiring increasing dosage to acheive the same effects.

Definitions Related to the Use of Opioids for the Treatment of Pain: Consensus Statement of the American Academy of Pain Medicine, the American Pain Society, and the American Society of Addiction Medicine

That said/established, most medications used in the treatment of neuropathy cause dependence. Some of them have the potential for addiction, including Klonopin/clonazepam.

Klonopin (clonazepam) is one of a class of medications called benzodiazepines.
Quote:
Long-term effects of benzodiazepines include tolerance, benzodiazepine dependence, and benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome, which occurs in one third of patients treated with clonazepam for longer than four weeks.
Ibid.
Klonopin/clonazepam has other longterm effects as well.
Quote:
The long term effects of clonazepam can include depression,[8] disinhibition, and sexual dysfunction.
Ibid.
Effects of long-term benzodiazepine use

There are alternative medications, but that will likely have to be a trial & error process, and as mentioned above, most will cause dependence (but not necessarily addiction).

I hadn't heard (that I recall) of Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy prior to this thread, and in looking it up, I found this article, which may/may not be of help/interest to you.

Chronic cough from laryngeal sensory neuropathy (LSN)

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote