Thread: eye contact
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 09:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I recently had a brain tumor resected from my cerebellum. The tumor has affected some of my ocular functions and I find it is very difficult for me to track moving objects or text. The tumor/surgery also impaired my vestibular apparatus, so I often feel dizzy or overwhelmed.

They say the tumor was a slow growing tumor, and I have probably had it for most of my life. The impairments I talked about were always issues for me to some degree. Unfortunately, I shrugged it off as shyness/social anxiety. In reality it was the symptoms (feeling overwhelmed, trouble tracking) that manifested into low-confidence and anxiety.

Now my short term visual memory/attention is below norm, according to neuropsych testing. Most of the psychologists I spoke to couldn't explain this to me. I suspect my poor eye tracking/coordination, has made it extremely difficult to attend to minute details.

Oddly, I think I always struggled in those areas in the past. However, I found ways to compensate. Now these issues greatly affect my quality of life. The good news is that I have noticed some improvement.
cerebellarmaniac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote