View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 01:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Need opinions - trauma, nerve damage, medications

Hi all,

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.
My husband got into a car accident and underwent surgery last week. Opthalmologist removed several foreign bodies around his eyes, these were glass and some tiny patches of car tint from the car's windshield. Thank God his eyeballs are safe and he can still see! His forehead (very very close to his eyes) bumped real hard on the steering wheel.

After surgery, these were the prescribed meds thru IV:
Tramadol for pain
Cefuroxime antibiotic for the wounds
Hydrocortisone (removed after 3 days)
Cerebrolysine for brain contusion or concussion?

Husband was doing well but 3 days after the surgery, he had very high fever (40.2 temperature), chills, he was really hysterical and delirious and when his fever reached 40.2, we thought he was going to die but he was able to fight the fever/convulsions off thank God. After 4 convulsions, I then noticed that an hour after the nurse gives the meds, the convulsions happen. I was kind of angry at his doctors because they did not notice that earlier. They were telling me he had Pneumonia and infection bec of the IV, but really, the convulsions were just because of the meds.

My question is, why did the meds have that effect on him? Could it be that the dose was too high or the preparation of the meds was incorrect?

Also, the main concern that I have, that is much more related to neuropathy is that, my husband's upper right side of his eyebrows up to the middle of the upper right head are numb, that is where most of the impact of the trauma is. The doctor said it was because of nerve damage. Other than that he can move all parts of his body, only concern is the numbness. Question is, can the nerve still regenerate? How long? When will the numbness be gone? I am planning to start him with the following meds since I am also taking these for my neuropathy:

AM
Jarrow Methyl B12 1000mcg (2x per day) and then increase to 5000mcg after a week
Doctor's Best Benfotiamine 300mg (1x per day)
Solgar Folate 800mg (1x per day)

PM with food
Jarrow BRight (1x per day)
Carlson Fish Oil 1000mg or 1tsp (1x per day)
Centrum Regular

Will these be enough? I also have Potassium, Magnesium, R ALA at home. What else am I missing?

Again, thank you for your inputs.

pug_lover is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote