View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 12:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Doc talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starznight View Post
I'm new to this site, my mom's been after me to find a support group for a while, I can get a wee bit (psychotically, suicidally, homicidally) depressed on occasion, generally when the doctors are scratching their heads telling me "hmmm, that ain't right...uhh...dunno."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Starz! Welcome. I'm sort of new to this group but I've had MS for 20 years, since I was 40. Yep, you're right I'm 60.

Everything you write about is so true. It does seem docs must take a required course in common, generic greetings to patients.

I remember several years ago my regular annual neuro appointment was coming up and I thought I'd try to come up with a descriptive, original answer - ahead of time - to my doc's routine inquiry as to how I was doing.

So when he asked, I told him that I felt like my entire body was like a sieve (colander) and it was constantly losing its physical abilities through the holes. I was pretty pleased with myself for such a creative and visual expression of how I felt about my many physical losses.

What I meant was the my loss of all bladder control, my loss of balance, of intimacy, of privacy, strength, the complete use of both legs, the use of both arms, the loss of use of 1 1/2 hands, all loss of dexterity - basically everything below my neck.

His response to me was, "Can you just tell me without the use of the
imaginative description?"

Even though he'd been my neuro for years, I realized that day I was just a source of paycheck for him and I'd wasted my time trying to describe how I felt. Lesson learned. Good neuro, not a great people-person.

MsBluIs
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (06-19-2014)