View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 02:10 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanshan View Post
Hi everyone,

I have the early stages of degeneration at my L5-S1. I want to strengthen my core as much as possible and I've had some success with exercises the PT prescribed for me. I want to start including planks into my routine, but I find that this particular exercise significantly exacerbates my pain. Anyone else have a similar problem? Any tips or suggestions? It seems strange that I would be physically unable to do an exercise that is routinely prescribed for people with lumbar disc issues.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hanshan 寒山
I think doing any exercise that causes pain should be avoided, or at least make sure the person who has told you to do the exercise is aware that it is causing pain.

Are you doing the exercise correctly? I was taught this exercise at Pilates and I started off doing "Planks" from the knee upwards. and only when the teacher was confident I was doing them correctly (with tummy tucked in) did she allow me to progress to doing them from the feet. I think they are good exercises to do.

as to your other question
Quote:
The burning pain and numbness in my feet has mostly resolved itself, i.e. gone away. It comes back a bit if I miss my daily dose of alpha lipoic acid, otherwise I hardly notice it. This kind of "remission" pattern seems strange to me, I'm worried that it could be indicative of MS.
When I was recovering from my first slipped disc, the burning pain stuff would come back for many an unwelcome encore over many weeks after I thought I was over the worst, and as for the numbness, I think this was still putting in an occasional appearance for up to 2 years, sometimes gone for months then just arrive back for an afternoon with no warning reason or invite.
The Bad Cormorant is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote