View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default May not be MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBun View Post
I am also interested in joining a support group. I have been trying to figure out what has been causing my pain for almost two years now. I had my second appt with neurologist yesterday and he says he believes I have Meralgia Paresthetica. I am hoping to get an idea of treatments I should start doing that have worked for other people. I am wondering if people have pain to the the extent that I do. I have pain every second of the day that is a level 8-9 on a scale of 1-10. My pain is a severe stabbing, pin and needles, shooting pain that radiates up and down my left leg. Most of my pain is concentrated in the area where my femur is located. It often feels like that area is tightening and locking up. My leg often goes out while walking. I have been on Gabapentin 600 mg day for two months and have showed little improvement and yesterday he upped the dose to 900 mg a day. I'm taking ibuprofen for pain. Im hoping to find that it is possible to be cured from this.
Dear HoneyBun,

You mentioned something that makes me think you may not be suffering from MP, OR maybe you have MP PLUS something else going on simultaneously.

MP is caused by damage to the LFCN. (Lateral femoral cutaneous nerve) It is a purely sensory nerve and does NOT involve any muscles. When you said My leg often goes out while walking. a flag immediately went up in my mind because MP does not affect muscle.

shooting pain that radiates up and down my left leg. Below the knee? If so, it is not MP. MP is confined to the thigh ONLY.

It sounds like you may have a problem with the femoral nerve, not the LFCN.

MP alone is limited to cutaneous (skin) area of the thigh only. I have had MP for about 35 years. Your symptoms sound like you have more than MP.

I hope you investigate your situation more to be sure you have a proper diagnosis.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (06-21-2014)