View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Mel,

I will have to look up more on the lymphocytes, but the RDW is the red cell differential width, which indicates how fast your body is making new red blood cells. His is a bit high, which usually comes with a microcytic anemia, in other words, it is high when some one is anemic. It is high when some one is losing some blood for some reason. It isn't terribly high, probably right at the cut off, and it can even get that high if some one isn't eating enough meat and over excercising. I have had RDWs in that range.

I don't know if his foot ulcer is causing that. Has he had a fecal occult blood smear...a 'Hemocult" slide done recently? Any microscopic blood in urine?

A high RDW indicates your body has a lot of immature red blood cells. Usually because your body is trying to replace what it is losing somewhere or because the person is on drugs that may stimulate production of red blood cells. No it isn't massive hemmorhage, nor a cause for real concern unless the hematocrit or hemoglobin is very low as well.

IVIG can either supppress an over active immune system, or help a suppressed immune system recover. It is immunomodulary. I don't know enough about how it affects lab tests to tell you how it would affect the absolute lymphocyte count right off the top of my head. I think if it is a real concern your doc will let you know.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote