Thread: First crisis
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Kathie, I'm so sorry you had a crisis. Pretty scary, isn't it?

I had that chest wall muscle spasm/cramping thing a few days before my crisis, too. When any muscle group becomes that weak, it's a sign to go to bed, call the neuro, and stop doing anything.

Well, a "green" building doesn't mean no A/C! It means that it helps cool and heat more efficiently! In your case, the green equates to money. And a fan at work won't help much when the overall environment is so hot and sticky.

I think you did what you could once you got to the hospital. Did you dial 911? You should do that first, instead of trying to reach your neuro. The hospital can always contact the neuro after you get there. And they might have more luck in reaching him!

Do you have an oximeter? Did they check your O2 saturation while sleeping? After 3 days, my O2 was 94/95%, but it was 66% while sleeping!!! You might need a pulmonologist to check that for you with an overnight oximetry test (which you do at home). Do you still have the BiPap? Did they order one for you? If they didn't, you could be having significant hypoxemia while sleeping and not even know it.

Some days I get a few petechia on my face or neck and know I've had trouble breathing the night before.

Do you have a fan? Keeping cool now is so important. Once you've had a crisis, it takes so much longer to fully recover. Don't kid yourself into thinking that you can be your "MG normal" even while on the steroids.

Did they give you a tapering schedule? Did they give you an initial IV dose of Solu-Medrol and then the steroid tablets? Did they say to take calcium/D and have good prostaglandins like olive oil or walnuts or whatever? Any other direction?!

They try to avoid plasmapheresis because it's invasive. But steroids can make you worse before you get better. I agree with Sue that you need a conversation with your neuro about all of this. It might need to be over the phone though! Don't push yourself right now.

We MGers need to listen to our bodies daily. Whether it's an O2 level that is slowly going down, inability to grip objects (a big sign of an impending crisis), entire face drooping, inability to do anything difficult, yawning, increased need for sleep, choking on air, and so many other signs, we need to heed them and STOP. REST. And call our doctors.

I hope you will stabilize and get better. I'm glad you had a hospital that knows what to do. You can feel good about that! But they did drop the ball on home care. And on assessing your breathing while sleeping. So that's something to cover if you have another crisis.

Speaking of home care . . . do you have a walker? A cane? A reacher grabber? A chair to sit on while taking a shower? There are a LOT of things you can do to minimize the impact of MG.

You just take it easy, okay?

Annie

Annie, you are truly something else!
We know that you're in the middle of your own personal crises, yet here you are reaching out with your vast knowledge and humor in an effort to help and comfort others.
Bless you dear lady ❤️
Maggiemayhem is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (06-22-2014), cait24 (06-22-2014), pingpongman (06-22-2014), rach73 (06-22-2014), southblues (06-24-2014), suev (06-22-2014)