Thread: Crafty MSers
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

No, crochet is always useful. What if you want to crochet an edging onto the afghan? (I crocheted the edging onto the afghan my dad knitted)

I like knitting, but I totally love crochet. I can't wait to get my yarn in the mail now. And then I'm going to buy more yarn, because I just decided that I want to crochet another pineapple shawl from a 70yr old crochet doily pattern that I've used about 20 or 30 times to make shawls.

I learned to knit back in 2006 when I had my first really big MS flare. About a day or two before I developed optic neuritis, I was watching a tv show called "Knit One, Purl Two". It was on HGTV I think. They had celebrities come on that show occasionally to knit with the host. The episode had the actress Marina Sirtis in it (she played Deanna Troi on "Star Trek: The Next Generation").

The host was teaching Sirtis how to do the purl stitch. I watched her do that, and all of a sudden, I thought I could do it myself. So, I had these two gigantic knitting needles my aunt had given me once, that I pretty much only used as back scratchers. I had to do a crochet cast on to get the cast on done. But, I managed to teach myself the knit stitch. How I managed that after watching someone learn how to purl. I'll never know.

Went upstairs to show my dad. He confirmed that I was doing the knit stitch. He knits combination style. I was apparently knitting continental. About four years ago, I had a flare that made my left hand numb at the middle and ring fingers. Which ended up making it hard for me to crochet or knit, because those are the fingers that I use to wrap the yarn.

So I taught myself how to knit and purl English style. I'm back to knitting continental, but I still purl English. When I want to make something in garter, I just use purl stitch for it.

I've made a lot of scarves, and dishcloths. I've attempted to make socks, but still haven't figured out how to do the socks.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote