View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 07:02 AM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherVet View Post
First off, yes my SCS can stimulate from my shoulders to my toes. It took trial and error on my remote to reach my toes.

Now the whole story:
I had a single SCS implanted with contacts at the top on my spine April 9 2014. The remote control has 3 settings and 3 contacts/programs. The stimulator settings:

Amplitude mA (milliamps) = 0.0 to around 30. The main screen for turning up/down Intensity is just a different method of measuring Amplitude.
Pulse Width us (as in micro seconds) = 20 to 1000
Rate Hz (hertz) = 5 to 120 (??)

WikiPedia has some useful information on the settings.
On wikipedia for Spinal_cord_stimulator:
Programming involves selecting the electrode stimulating configuration, adjusting the amplitude, width and frequency of electrical pulses. Amplitude indicates the intensity of stimulation. This is delivered in milliamperes or volts depending on the system used. Lower voltage or current is chosen for peripheral nerves and paddle leads. Pulse width usually varies from 100 to 400 us. Widening the pulse width will also broaden the area of paraesthesia. Frequency of pulse wave is usually between 20 and 120 hertz. It is an individual preference: some patients choose low frequency beating sensation whereas others prefer high frequency buzzing.[13]

I have advanced secondary Raynaud's phenomenon (RP). RP's effect on my toes were one of the main reasons I got the SCS. My brain controlling my toes "thinks" the toes are hot, especially when the toes are cold. 'Cold' for my toes is under 82 degrees Fahrenheit. When the toes are in a cold environment, the corpuscles in the toes tighten to restrict blood going to the toe's tissue. That hurts. It hurts a lot because blood and oxygen are cut off from the toes. The toes temperature can then be felt by other people touching them, the temp is cold like a milk jug in the refrigerator. I have had gangrene on two toes due to RP. Thank God I live in South Florida, although air conditioned buildings open a new problem. I am a Software Engineer. Most commercial software companies keep their office building at around 72 degrees. When I have a Raynaud's attack I "get the stupids"- my brain can't think straight.

Unfortunately, there is not a map in the SCS manual with the settings of how to reach different areas of the body. I had to experiment, especially when I was under RP attack and was pretty dumb. It took a while to get everything right for my issues.

For the SCS's pulse to reach my toes, I generally use two possible settings.
MY NORMAL SETTINGS:
Amplitude = 1.9 mA or 14.9% Intensity
Pulse Width = 940 to 1000
Rate = 20 or 30

To some extent prevent the corpuscles do not tighten as much with the above settings. RP's mechanism is confusing, but apparently the pulses prevent my brain from completely tightening the corpuscles, and then the toes don't tell my brain they as hot, etc - I am not positive on the why. Also with these settings, my biceps have a slight vibration.

MY SETTING WHEN UNDER RP ATTACK:
Amplitude = 3.2 mA or 25.1% Intensity
Pulse Width = 1000
Rate = 20

At the above settings I will feel a strong thump in my toes every second or so. I feel it, but nobody else can hear it, although I am shaking over my entire body much like Andrew J. Fox. My arms are shaking and unable to type on a keyboard with any accuracy. If I recognize I am having an RP attack and use the above setting immediately I can lessen the duration of the RP attack, the additional problems, and most pain in my toes. If the stupids slow my reaction to an RP attack, sometimes by 10 minutes, the only benefit I will get from using the high settings is no pain from the toes.

I am still learning various tweaks for different uses, but the Boston Scientific SCS has given me better life. Zero doubt about that.

Andy
Awesome intricate details
This valuable for some
Awesome
Me
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (06-24-2014), Rimbanda (06-25-2014), Rrae (06-26-2014)