Thread: Crafty MSers
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I crocheted a shawl out of a cone of cotton yarn that I got at Walmart. Pretty sure the brand was Sugar & Cream.

The pattern I used was originally a doily pattern. Think it was published in the 1940s. It was originally supposed to be made with size 10 thread. (thicker than sewing thread) and was supposed to be put on chairs, to protect the fabric of a chair from all the oils that men used to put in their hair. So, originally the pattern wasn't very big at all.

If you make it with worsted weight yarn, or that crochet cotton, and use a very large crochet hook. It comes out to be an adult sized shawl.

I've made about twenty or thirty of these shawls. Most with acrylic yarn. The one in the picture tho, I used crochet cotton. It came out slightly heavier than ones made with acrylic yarn. It wasn't stiff. And it softened up when I put it in the dryer. It might have softened tho because it's not a solid pattern. It has openwork in it.

I just knitted a dishcloth with some Sugar & Cream yarn about a week ago. It turned out pretty nice, and it seems to be soft. That yarn didn't come in a cone tho. I bought individual balls of yarn.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (11-05-2014), SallyC (06-24-2014)