Thread: eye contact
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Thanks so much for the explanation.

I don't look away, consciously, it's just, sort of, a reflex. However, I do know that I don't like to look at moving object (no TV for this gal) - and heads do move.

This might also explain why the person I have the hardest time looking at, when he talks, is my poor husband. He's very animated when he speaks (plenty of bobble head gestures and flailing arms - that's his culture) He shaved off his beard - and I didn't even notice. Yes, he does talk a lot.
I so relate to this. My dear boyfriend is Italian and a very demonstrative talker. I have to close my eyes to even hear half of what he's saying now. He has been trying to keep the gestures down but it's a part of him.

I have noticed I close my eyes alot when talking to other people. Otherwise, I get dizzy or can't hear what they're saying. One of my worst ailments right now is poor tracking and convergence so I'm sure its related to this. I also give people a heads-up while talking that I am listening even if my eyes are closed.

I do find it interesting though. When I close my eyes while talking to someone, its a reflex, like when something is coming at your face, you close your eyes. I wonder if it's the same sort of mechanism my brain is using to protect itself. Maybe that sounds silly, could just be my fun brain not making sense again .
Lolo82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote