View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 01:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am so sorry you have to go through this. I am at my 23 month mark. I am about to get fired from my dream job (I was on the tenure track as a college professor--yes 9 years of studying to get my MA and Phd. Then getting a tenure track job, publishing my book, etc.).

I have a husband and 3 children. I was in bed for almost 18 months off and on. Vertigo migraines. Binocular vision and post-traumatic vision syndrome. Not able to read or to play with my kids. I watched them come home and leave.

The past 2 months have been better since getting of nortryptiline and being on topamax.

I am still not able to read or to be on the computer for more than 60 minutes now, but it's up from 0 minutes from before. And I'm an academic!!

It does get easier. Each day - slowly. And everyone has a different learning curve.

There is no way around it- the change is different, and it sucks. It's not fair. But I do think that my life before was very stressful, and I will emerge changed and perhaps better.

I think it is called "post traumatic growth" - the thoughts and associated growth after trauma.

I'm venting a little here, because my doctors this week did not release me to go back to work. When I notified the university, I could tell that they were about to send the letter "thank you for your service, you are hereby terminated."

So, I also need to move on. And we all will survive this label of pcs--and I guess that is just it. We survived!

It's another day to do better and to feel better. We will get out of this hell to somewhere better....

So thank you all for letting me write this-I have appreciated all of you. And I know you will all improve. Day by day.

Post-event: Diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome, ptsd, whiplash, peripheral and central vestibular dysfunction and convergence insufficiency. MRI/CT scans fine.

Symptoms: daily headaches, dizziness/vertigo, nausea, cognitive fog, light/noise sensitivities, anxiety/irritability, fatigued, convergence insufficiency, tinnitus and numbness in arms/legs.

Therapies: Now topamax 50mg daily; Propanolol and Tramadol when migraine. Off nortryptiline and trazodone. Accupuncture. Vitamin regime. Prism glasses/vision therapy. Vestibular therapy 3month. Gluten free diet. Dairy free diet. On sick leave from teaching until Sept. 2014.
berkeleybrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Ken Koester (07-07-2014), music-in-me (06-25-2014), SarahSmile0205 (06-26-2014), Superstition (06-26-2014)