View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 06:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Medtronic Unit

I just wanted to respond to what Andy posted about the Medtronic's unit.

I'm sure that there are both good and bad experiences that can be found when it comes to all of the different brands of SCS units that are out there, and good and defective units for each as well. Before I got my unit, I, too, researched, and again, found good, bad, and scary things on every one of them.

Having said that, I do have a Medtronic's unit, and while I had to have revision surgery because my leads migrated and I needed the paddle/laminectomy instead, I have been very happy with the unit, my battery, and the coverage that it gives me. Before the leads migrated after my original surgery, I was getting 60-75% pain relief. My paddle/laminectomy surgery was two weeks ago today, and my unit was just turned on at my post-op appointment two days ago. Because we won't be able to really begin tweaking my settings until the swelling goes down more, I won't know how the paddle leads compare, percentage-wise, to the percutaneous leads - but having had such good coverage before the lead migration, I am hoping for the same.

All of that to say, I agree with Andy - research and find which one is best for you. But in doing so, bear in mind that you will find success - and horror stories - for all of the devices. I, personally, would not specifically call out one company as being worse than another, but we all have different opinions and experiences, and there is nothing wrong with that. Sharing those differing thoughts and opinions is so valuable, as everyone's experiences can hopefully - collectively - help us all.

Andy - I am VERY glad to hear that your SCS has been so successful for you! Any time that any one of us can calm this beast down even the slightest amount - it is a victory. And, being a huge "Young Frankenstein" fan (I can quote the entire movie!), I love what you have named your implant!

Wishing everyone the best as we all move forward on our journeys!

=Becky

Last edited by chrelsey; 06-26-2014 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
chrelsey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-26-2014), ger715 (06-25-2014), Hannabananna (06-26-2014), PamelaJune (07-25-2014), Rrae (06-26-2014)