View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi ughthedentist,

I am going to re post some of your thread and reply in bold type.

<<The gland is not tender to the touch. I do feel like the gland is decreasing in size and hardness this morning.>>

OKAY THOSE ARE BOTH POSITIVE.

<< I noticed the gland issue days before they diagnosed me with dry socket but it could've been swollen before that. >>

A SWOLLEN GLAND INDICATES THE LYMPHATIC SYSTEM IS FIGHTING INFLAMMATION AND/OR BACTERIA. WHEN IT SWELLS UP THIS IS THE BODY'S SYMPTOM OF INDICATING THERE IS A PROBLEM.

<< I don't think I am consistently grinding my teeth. Most mornings when I wake my jaw is achy but sometimes all my teeth are sore and I think this would be from grinding. It has only happened a handful of times since having the teeth extracted.>>

IF YOU WAKE UP "MOST" MORNINGS TO AN ACHY JAW THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY GRINDING OR CLENCHING YOUR TEETH "MOST" NIGHTS WHICH WOULD MEAN IT IS A "CONSISTENT" PROBLEM. THE JAW, THE GUMS AND THE TEETH CAN ALL BE TENDER OR ACHY FROM GRINDING OR CLENCHING OF YOUR TEETH.

<<Why does the photo indicate bone deterioration and will this eventually require additional dental work? >>

THE PHOTO INDICATES A LOSS OF BONE ALONG THE RIDGE AT THE BUCCAL PLATE WHICH IS THE BONE THAT IS CLOSEST TO YOUR CHEEK. THIS LOSS OCCURS WHEN THERE IS A LONG TERM TOOTH OR BONE INFECTION. ONCE THE BUCCAL PLATE IS GONE THERE IS REALLY NO IDEAL WAY TO REPLACE IT.

<< What do you think about the hard bony lump?>>

YOU DO HAVE OTHER AREAS OF BONY TORI. I CAN SOME IN YOUR LOWER JAW NEAR THE FRONT. THIS COULD BE A NEW ONE FORMING. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON TO SEE IN PATIENTS WHO HAVE TORI TO SEE NEW ONES DEVELOP AFTER A TRAUMATIC INJURY OR DIFFICULT EXTRACTION.

<<Also do you think the infection before extraction would have required any scraping or cleaning of the bone post extraction?>>

IT IS IMPERATIVE FOR THE DENTIST TO THOROUGHLY DEBRIDE THE SOCKET OF THE PERIODONTAL LIGAMENT AND ALL NECROTIC TISSUE AND BONE THAT CAN BE SEEN OR FELT AT THE TIME OF THE EXTRACTION. WHEN THIS IS NOT DONE IT CAN LEAD TO DRY SOCKET AND/OR A LONG TERM BACTERIAL PROBLEM.

<<The jaw pain/discomfort has been a little better yesterday and this morning it wasn't as sore when I woke up. It feels achy, especially into my ear and neck and sometimes my collar bone even aches. I've also been having almost an itchy sensation in the jaw and gums and ear. What does this mean?>>

THESE ARE CLASSIC SYMPTOMS OF A NOCTURNAL BRUXING HABIT. ONCE THIS BECOMES A HABIT, EVEN ON THOSE DAYS WHEN YOU DO NOT DO IT THAT MUCH, YOU WILL STILL EXPERIENCE THESE SYMPTOMS BECAUSE THE MUSCLES, THE TEETH, THE GUMS.... ARE ALL AGGRAVATED AND INFLAMED. THE ONLY WAY TO TRY AN ALLEVIATE THIS IS TO TAKE STEPS TO EITHER STOP THE HABIT OR WEAR A NIGHT GUARD TO HELP ALLEVIATE THE TRAUMA THAT THE BRUXING IS CAUSING YOU. THE ITCHY SENSATION CAN BE A STIMUALTION OF THE NERVES BEING INFLAMED AS A RESULT OF THE BRUXING.

<<The tinnitus is driving me crazy but I can deal with it.>>

TINNITUS CAN OCCUR FROM BRUXING.

<<The clicking and popping noises even seem less frequent and uncomfortable. Is this a good sign the problem is resolving itself? >>

THESE SYMPTOMS WILL WAX AND WANE DEPENDING ON HOW OFTEN AND HOW DEEPLY YOUR BRUXING HABIT IS.

<< I have been very careful with eating softer foods and keeping good posture. I have even been doing a couple of the easy going tmj exercises.>>

BE CAREFUL WITH TMJ EXERCISES AND NEVER TAKE THEM FARTHER THAN WHAT IS PHYSICALLY COMFORTABLE. THE CULPRIT IS THE BRUXING... AS LONG AS YOU ARE DOING THAT YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

<<I am very hesitant to go back and see my dentist. The last time I saw her she was rude and told me she couldn't help me anymore. She seemed angry and defensive that I kept coming back.>>

SHE CANNOT HELP YOU WITH THE SURGICAL AREAS. BUT SHE CAN HELP YOU WITH A NIGHT GUARD.

<< She referred me to an oral surgeon and as I told you he blew me off as well.>>

THIS HAPPENS WHEN AN ORAL SURGEON DOES NOT WANT TO GET INVOLVED WITH THE SURGERY THAT WAS DONE BY A GENERAL DENTIST.

<< It is hard for me to find quality care because of my insurance I can only see in-network doctors or it is not covered at all. I do not have the money to go out of network.>>

I UNDERSTAND AND THIS IS VERY UNFORTUNATE FOR MANY PEOPLE.

<< At this point I do not value the dentist or oral surgeons advice. I am afraid first that they will blow me off again and second that they will want to do something that will harm me further. This whole experience has only increased my fear and worry about dentists and dental work and it was pretty bad before.>>

IT IS VERY DIFFICULT WHEN SOMEONE IS AFRAID AND EVEN MORE DIFFICULT WHEN THAT PERSON HAS TO STAY WITHIN THE STRICT GUIDELINES OF THEIR INSURANCE. IDEALLY YOU NEED TO FIND A DENTIST THAT CALMS YOUR FEARS AND STICKS WITH YOU THROUGHOUT THE TREATMENT. THIS CAN BE VERY DIFFICULT TO DO AS MOST DENTISTS WHO PARTICIPATE IN LIMITED INSURANCE PLANS DO SO MAINLY FOR THE COMPENSATION FROM THE INSURANCE.

<<Bryanna I want to apologize again for being impatient. We are all very lucky to have you volunteer your time and advice. You are truly a wonderful person to help so many others as you do. I send you a heartfelt thank you Bryanna....as I said you have helped me more than my dentist or oral surgeon>>

DON'T APOLOGIZE, I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY. I WISH I HAD MORE TIME TO DEVOTE HERE. I ALSO WISH MORE DENTISTS WOULD BE MORE INFORMATIVE AND COMFORTING WITH THEIR PATIENTS. THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote