View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 03:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
Eight -- thank you so much for this post!

I just read a very interesting book chapter by Sanders and was wondering if he was still practicing.

The chapter mentioned that they (assuming Sanders/Annest) perform scalenectomy with "selective" first rib resection through supraclavicular approach for NTOS. The decision for rib resection is based on the relationship between first rib and lower trunk of plexus. Using this method they have removed ribs in only about 15% of the last 150 patients that they operated on during the previous 2 years. (the book was copyrighted 2007).

Do you know if this is still their approach? Do they only remove the rib based on what they see?

I am very interested in learning more about scalenectomy-only approaches and who is doing them.

In the chapter, Sanders also noted:
"We continue to note no difference in results between those with rib resections and those without rib resections."

Since you have seen them recently -- any additional info would be *most* appreciated!
Dr Sanders is retiring but has trained Dr. Annest who I believe does all the surgeries. Dr. Sanders still does consults(as of 2 years ago) and he will talk to you over the phone. I had an e-mail exchange with him. i was interested in scalenectomy only and researche this as well. After I did extensive PT with dr. Ando my ribs seemed to be more of a problem then my scalenes. I hardly have any scalene pain anymore, mostly trapezius so I stopped. Dr. Johansen in Seattle and Dr. Brown in San Diego also use this approach.

Alot of people seem to have good experiences with Sanders/Annest but Parbie on this Forum had a bad surgery with Dr. Annest. You should read these threads too Also there was a forum member who wrote about her experiences with Dr. Brown, she ended up having a rib resection after they opened her up so she didint get to choose the vascular surgeon.

I have learned that it sometimes seems so great when you read some of these Dr's studies, but it doesnt always translate into great care or surgery.Sorry to be negative, but I recently had this experience with Dr. Fish here at UCLA. He wrote 3 articles about TOS and Shoulder and neck pain and long thoracic nerve injury.I thought maybe I could get some clarification on whether my pain is caused by my bulging disc or TOS or a LTN injury. I finally went to see him recently and was SOOO DISAPPOINTED.He saw me for 5 min, looked at my mri, said I needed an epidural but I would have to be in pain to do it even tho you have to schedule it a month in advance and told me the only thing to do for the TOS was to get the surgery and he recommended Dr. Ahn who I have seen and would not choose.
jkl626 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote