View Single Post
Old 06-29-2014, 03:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mine started like dental pain. I went to the dentist to say I'd been woken by pain in the night frequently. I did say that I couldn't pin down exactly where the pain was coming from and that sometimes it was my molar, sometimes my front teeth, sometimes under my jaw and sometimes even in my ear.

My dentist latched on to the 'waking in the night' aspect and suspected pulpitis. Unfortunately, one of the teeth I was having a major spike of pain when I tried brushing it was one that had been cracked 20 years previously. She removed the filling, declared the nerve exposed and decided that it must be the cause of the pain. I was given the choice of root canal or extraction and opted for extraction due to the damaged nature of the tooth and the fact it was already mostly filling.

The pain continued. I visited an emergency dentist who xrayed it and said he wasn't doing anything as the xray was clear.

The pain continued. I went back to my own dentist who did a very thorough test and even used cold spray that crackled and fizzed to test for the cold sensitivity I told her I was having trouble with. Then she replaced an old filling 'in case' and I had an epiphany!
1 - I was numb when I walked out of her room I was numb from the injection, but in agony all down my jaw.
2 - the tooth that hadn't reacted at all in the warm examination room was soooo painful when outside that I couldn't bear to touch it.

I am cross that I lost a tooth to TN but I do recognise that some of it is down to my own decisions.
Waterfin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote