View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 07:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Alternative Meds, etc.

My husband, Rich, was diagnosed in summer of '05. But there were things that weren't right before that, just can't be sure anymore of what and where. I brought him to a medical doctor in NYC who works out of Columbia Presbyterian. She is also versed in Ayurvedic medicine. I really liked her and she was truly committed to helping Rich. She recommended fish oil, magnesium, brammi (not sure I'm spelling this one right) & Ashwaganda (that one either). She showed him some exercises to do for balance, etc. Rich was in such a bad place then and he still is, that it didn't matter what anyone suggested, he was not such a willing participant. Her feeling was that it was possible to restore balance and harmony into his body and try to eliminate some of the drugs western medicine uses. She was not advocating for or against western medicine, but thought she could really help him thru the Ayurvedic process. She also spoke about Rich to colleagues and wanted him to meet with an Ayurvedic doctor who only practiced that type of medicine. He wouldn't go. She sent me the Brammi for him to try. That is supposed to increase you alertness. However, Rich was too far gone psychologically at this point so he didn't take it. He was started on Mirapex at first by one doctor and another doctor removed it saying it was making his paranoia worse. I don't think it made any difference. He was already paranoid. The psychiatrist put him on Abilify and while I know it's not good for PWP to be on that type of drug, I do believe that did help with a lot of the paranoia. It is for paranoia schizophrenia. Right now he is on Sinimet 2x/day, next week going to 3x. The neurologist we see now believes Rich is clearly undermedicated. So far I don't see much change with the increase in the Sinimet. I am hoping for the best.
You don't want to jump on the Sinmet bandwagon too soon; however, it seems to be the rescue drug some people need before others do.

Maureen
Maureen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote