View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 03:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick123 View Post
I know this is off topic, but hope someone will help. Please forgive this intrusion.... I was just diagnosed 5/4/14, and YIKES! I don't have basic Medicare with supplemental plan f. Instead, I have AARP Medicare Complete Plan 1 (HMO), along with medicare part b. May need IVIG in near future. Yikes again!! Is basic Medicare with supplemental plan f the preferred insurance for MGers? I have no other serious health issues (MG is enough to worry about!).
I have plan F and would be in trouble with out it. It pays everything that medicare does not. costs about 190 dollars a month. i would be many thousands more in debt already this year with any other other plan. i have monthly ivig, have had a 5 day hospital stay plus more doctor visits by far in the last year and a half than in the previous 69 years all together.

Just a couple of warnings. Dont do in home IVIG. Medicare considers the medicine to be part of the treatment in a hospital or infusion center but part of the medicine covered by your drug policy if done in home. Doesnt make sense but my initial 5 treatment week would have cost over 1000 dollars with my drug plan copays in home.

If you do go to an emergency room don't let them keep you overnight for observation. Insist on being admitted. If you were to go into crisis, was kept overnight for observation, than it was determined you needed a short time in a rehab facility it could affect your coverage by medicare.

Medicare will only cover rehab after so many days in the hospital. I read where one patient was 'surprised' with a 30 thousand dollar bill because part of his hospital stay was considered 'for observation;' I have also read where some of our congress people are trying to get the rules changed so observation is considered the same as admitted but be aware.
edwinlgreen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote