Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Glen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--is a good idea, as in ambiguous cases it may distinguish symptoms arising from the central nervous system from those arising int he peripheral nervous system (it is often used to help diagnose multiple sclerosis, for example, in those with inconclusive MRI or lumbar puncture test results).

It is certainly possible to have both large and small fiber neuropathy at the same time--mixed types often point to a more systemic autoimmune, toxic, or nutritional cause, though compressive effects can certainly exacerbate the symptoms (as in the "double crush phenomenon").

Another possibility (common in Sjogren's, for example, though many cases are idiopathic), is neuronpathy. a sort of subset in which the cell bodies in the dorsal root ganglia are compromised, and this can have both large and small fiber components:

http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/antib...uron.html#sfsn

I know you are quite informed on PN; tests, etc., but have wondered, unless needed for disability; what is the advantage of these tests?

I had spinal fusion/laminectomy L4-5 about eight years ago. Still dealt with considerable pain. After my bladder surgery, I was prescribed and took Levaquin for 14 days. Within a week or so after surgery, edema, then stasis dermatitis, followed with the burning feet/ankle, as well as leg pain and heaviness; adding additional lower spine pain.

Both my PCP and PM doctors feel I am definitely dealing with neuropathy. I am currently (also had various spine injections) on heavy narcotics to keep the 24/7 pain tolerable.

Again; looking for your input regarding the advantage, if any, to have tests to determine whether small fibre neuropathy; etc. would have. Seems the type of pain experienced is pretty indicative of dealing with neuropathy.

Thanks,

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote