Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Hello Hopeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
Dear HoneyBun,

You mentioned something that makes me think you may not be suffering from MP, OR maybe you have MP PLUS something else going on simultaneously.

MP is caused by damage to the LFCN. (Lateral femoral cutaneous nerve) It is a purely sensory nerve and does NOT involve any muscles. When you said My leg often goes out while walking. a flag immediately went up in my mind because MP does not affect muscle.

shooting pain that radiates up and down my left leg. Below the knee? If so, it is not MP. MP is confined to the thigh ONLY.

It sounds like you may have a problem with the femoral nerve, not the LFCN.

MP alone is limited to cutaneous (skin) area of the thigh only. I have had MP for about 35 years. Your symptoms sound like you have more than MP.

I hope you investigate your situation more to be sure you have a proper diagnosis.

Thank you for responding. I think it is possible I may have MP + Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, the doctor did say that is a possibility, but he does feel like I have MP for sure. He said it is possible for the pain from femoral nerve to cause a radiating feeling in my shin area as well in thigh and knee. I don't have a radiating feeling in my shin to often though, its mostly in groin area. I have found that one of the symptoms with MP is your leg will jerk/twitch and that could be what is causing my leg to go out while walking. He never mentioned anything about a LFCN, he just spoke about the femoral nerve and he said he believes it is whats causing me pain. I am wondering what is the difference between the LFCN and the femoral nerve, I will have to do some research on that. Thank you so much, your advice helps a lot. It is very important I do get a proper diagnosis.

I have a 6.5 in long x 1 inch wide scar that starts right over pelvic area. And at the top is a small blot clot that occurred about 4 months ago. The doctors say the blood clot should be no problem unless it gets bigger. I am wondering if it has any connection with what is causing my pain, the Dr's say it does not.
HoneyBun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote