Thread: The Nest
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Can you share where this photo is taken from? It is a horizontal surface, like a window edge?

Do I see lumps of mud? If so, then this may be a practice nest of robins. At this time of year, there are fledglings, working with parents and learning how to make nests. They will often make 3 or more near each other as practice. The parents may have a second brood and the teens from the first brood this season may help feed the new nestlings and also practice making nests.

I am reminded of a story our mail carrier told me recently. She lives in the "country" --a rural area. When she drove home from work one night a robin made a nest on her front tire in the wheelwell of her SUV. She removed it, and the next day another was there in the same spot! LOL

Robins line the nest with mud. And they typically make nests in low areas, and not high up. This is because the fledglings are large and can't fly well at first when they outgrow the nest size.

I would like to see more of this project, so please keep posting your photos....

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 07-02-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: fixing grammar
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (07-02-2014)