View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 12:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused sleep causes startling

I have a strange form of insomnia that has been going on for many months. I wonder if anyone has heard of this. I get sleepy at bedtime and am drifting off to sleep. I seem to start to dream right away and then BAM, I startle and am wide awake. This goes on over and over until I feel overwhelmed by anxiety and I have to get up. Sleeping pills have very little effect. I am on trazodone 25 MG, which usually dampens down the startle and makes it more bearable. But lately it has not been working. Taking more makes me so sleepy in the daytime that I can't function and does not seem to help with sleep. I have been to a sleep doctor becauseI also have restless leg, but that doesn't start until later in the night. He tried sleep restriction and sonata which was a truly horrible experience. I go back in a few weeks. Meanwhile, I am worried that I am going to completely fall apart. I don't know what's wrong with me and I dread going to bed because of the startling. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any kind of advice?
pepper999 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lily7 (12-11-2015)