View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 06:05 AM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Dental cyst

Hi there

I had RCT on tooth 46 about 20 years ago. About 5 years ago, I had a crown put on that tooth as the filling had a crack. About a year ago, I developed a cyst - visible on the outer jaw below the tooth. It felt hard like bone. I had a CT and it confirmed a cyst.

I was then told by a maxillofacial surgeon I needed to have the tooth extracted, the cyst removed, bone graft then an implant. All up it would cost thousands of dollars. I then shopped around and went to an implant dentist who was recommended by a friend. He extracted my tooth and told me the cyst would just go away. He did no bone graft and said in a few months to come back to start the implant.

A week after extraction, I still have pain - not severe but I need to take painkillers regularly. My family dentist told me that the cyst shouold have been curreted out when the tooth was pulled and that bone graft should have been placed as well - neither of which were done.

The lump where the cyst is/was is no longer visible but is tender now whereas before I had the tooth pulled I had no pain.

can someone advise whether the implant dentist did the wrong thing by not curetting out the cyst? Why do I still have pain a week later?

Thanks
Bern_dv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote