Thread: Dental cyst
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Bern_dv,

I am not sure which tooth you are referring to as most people only have 32 teeth, including their wisdom teeth. Where in your mouth was this tooth? Was the implant dentist an oral surgeon or a general dentist?

The majority of the time the cyst is removed at the time of the extraction because it will not resolve on it's own. The only time it might not be removed entirely at the time of the extraction is if it were in an area that made the removal a high risk for paralysis or neurological damage. Otherwise, it is not okay to leave the cyst.

FYI.... Anytime you are going to have an infected tooth extracted, especially a root canaled tooth and/or one that has developed a cyst, it is best to have an oral surgeon perform the procedure. General dentists have limited training in oral surgery and frequently are not as thorough with the procedure as they should be. Someone who claims to be an implant dentist is not necessarily an oral surgeon. They could be a general dentist who took a class or workshop on implantology.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote