View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I have some strong feelings about SSRI (and SNRI) antidepressants; they can be as/more difficult to get off of as narcotics and/or benzodiazepines. My own DW is still going through HELLSSRI discontinuation syndrome—several months after coming off of them. No disrespect meant to anyone or their doctors, but some doctors just don't know about this phenomenon—or aren't aware of the severity/prevalence—and some don't/won't acknowledge it. PLEASE—for both of your sakes—do some homework on this and decide for yourselves. I know these meds do wonders for some folks, and that's great, but unless they are likely to be on them for the rest of their lives, I think alternatives should be sought/tried first. IMO, L-tryptophan, 5-HTP (both also good for OCD), and a few others are worth investigating/trying first.

antidepressant alternatives

Eye strain/tests don't necessarily exclude things like computer headache, and I was surprised when I learned some of my headaches were posture related; those responded quite well (though it took some time) to corrective physical therapy—one specific chin-tuck exercise in particular.

Things like cortisol can be checked with a blood test, and supplemented if necessary (I was found to be low in several adrenal hormones; supplementing them has helped me feel better in a number of ways.) Has anyone checked his testosterone levels? Low T has been found to cause daily headaches in some.

low testosterone causing daily headache

I asked about the virus, etc. because some of my headaches were determined to be caused by a virus (head cold) I got in my late 40s reactivating the EBV from having Mono as a teen! That kind often resolves in time (albeit several years).

My migraines are a different story...

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote