Thread: PD and VOICE
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Speech difficulty common with PD

Hello! I am a speech-language pathologist that specializes in helping people with Parkinson's with their speech.

Voice changes are very common with Parkinson's. About 89% of people diagnosed will experience some changes in their voices... common symptoms are soft, weak voices, hoarseness, slurred speech, and monotone speech.

The good news is that speech differences are typically very responsive to therapy! Vocal exercises coupled with practice with using strategies while speaking can make a huge difference in the strength, quality, and intelligibility of speech. Seek the help of a speech-language pathologist who has experience treating people with Parkinson's so they can guide you in developing an exercise program and teach you strategies to improve your speech.

I use a treatment program called SPEAK OUT! that was developed at the organization I work for, Parkinson Voice Project. We have trained therapists all over the United States to help people with Parkinson's... there may be a trained therapist in your area.
jenndcody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
badboy99 (07-04-2014)