View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
Thanks for the update.

Nest is certainly taking shape now.

I have no idea, but I'll go with "barn swallow" even though I've never seen one. lol
Well Done ! indeed it is a "Swallow" (barn swallow is an american term for the same bird)

They are the most amazing of birds and one of my favourites. They winter in southern Africa and make the 7000 mile journey in the spring to where I live in Scotland where they raise their young before returning in the Autumn to Southern Africa.

The pair that are responsible for the nest in this thread have already raised one brood this year and this is their second nest. The first brood of four left the nest on the 19th June, they hung around the house for the first few days being fed (sadly one went missing on day one, so only three now) they then disappeared with the parents for over a week just occasionally returning in the evenings. Then last week the parents started the second nest - the three young do still keep returning and are now highly accomplished flying machines, clearly feeding themselves now. They may actually help the parents feed the next brood, however this is very rare and I have only twice seen it happen before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD
Thanks for the new photos.... the presence of the mud suggests a robin.

How is the bird getting into your garage?
we cut a hole above the door that gives them full access.

I was a little confused with your comments regarding the Robin, our Robin (in Scotland) is a very different bird to the "American Robin, in fact after reading up about it the American Robin is indeed quite similar to our Swallow, although I guess you will have Swallows too and probably know them by the name "Barn Swallow"

Anyway back to the nest, they have been very busy building again today and as you can see it is getting there - I would guess this time next week we should have eggs..

The Bad Cormorant is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (07-03-2014)