View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Just my opinion, but I think being strung along for two years, and six months between appointments, is a pretty good indication that that neurologist hasn't got a clue.

I gave several neuros a year at a time, and the appts. were 1-2 months apart before I moved on. When I found the headache guy, it was on the first or second appt. he asked me 3 questions, turned around to the filing cabinet behind his desk, and handed me a sheet describing my diagnosis. Treatment took a little longer, but it wasn't 2 years until I got results—a combination of the right meds, physical therapy, and trigger identification (through the diary).

You may need to expand your diary entries to help yourself figure out your triggers. The doctors can't/won't do that for you—it's more of a self-help detective exercise. Record everything you can leading up to the headches/episodes going back 48 hrs if/when possible (some triggers can take 24-48 hrs to initiate a migraine—most are shorter, within a few minutes to hours. Record activities, food & drink intake, exercise, smells.. whatever you do and/or are exposed to. Almost anything can be a trigger.

migraine triggers

Do you snore? Could be obstructive apnea which can cause/exacerbate migraines. I have that, and use a cpap machine. It helps.

Your PCP can get/order you a sleep study.

RDV: Roommate was the most extreme level of sleepwalker; he could get up, carry on coherent conversations, go into town, bar-hop/party all night, come home, and get up the next morning unaware he'd done any of it. He was also extremely susceptible to hypnosis. We were told that people who are that level of sleepwalker are often very susceptible/responsive to hypnosis, & vice versa.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 07-04-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: clarify
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote