View Single Post
Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Oh the poor mare possumtrot. My stallion wouldn't "approve" my riding him until 3 months after the 6th concussion. They said a MINIMUM of 4 weeks no riding. Well, you know how it is....2 weeks later, went to put my foot in the stirrup....he just casually stepped two to the right and looked at me and sighed. At that point, I was spinning any way. I'd try every few weeks...and he'd do the same. The day I FINALLY got back up...spins SO bad I had to bear hug his neck and eventually slide off. He's one in a million and tolerated it all.

I will hunt up that thread Lara.

Equestrian is a dangerous sport, Chemar. Ironically, most have been stupid things. Horse turning it's head quick my way...WHACK. Picking a young horse's hooves....they get "funny" and do a quick jerk UP...to the head with a horse's hock (knee). I have only had 2 by an actual fall, and considering I rode Cross Country style jumping for 12 years (telephone pole jumps, ditches, banks and water jump types), I'm very lucky.
From what I've "studied" and been told, each one "sticks" longer...and my neurologist (cute that he is...or NOT) says, next one...I'll be in diapers. He may have been being funny, but I'm a hell of a lot more c areful these days. Ironically, I am one of the very FEW in my lifestyle who DO wear a helmet while riding...even for recreation. Unfortunately, the style I ride now, does not insist upon a "helmet" but a top hat...that offers ZERO protection to the head.
Trying to get that changed still.
I know what you mean by not doing the things you love to do....I won't jump any more. As much as I adore breaking (starting) horses, I will not risk it again. At this point...I honestly feel handicapped.
I feel I have days where I am "normal" again....but then get so run down again a few days later. I also am a gym enthusiast. I was studying to be a personal trainer just before the last one. That book is about 6" thick. So forget it after. I have a very hard time retaining material. We have "tests" in the style I ride. Most are about 20 moves or so at my level. My coach is super, and we only learned the first 5 for a while....then added more as we went. The funny thing is, (not really) the tests change EVERY four years. I only road ONE TIME from memory before they changed. It was a GOOD one time though.
I haven't found the right "one" yet. I know I'd have to venture OUT farther from my podunk area...and I don't have insurance yet, so not helpful.
I do take Maxalt for migraines, and Depikote to ward those off.
Still will be too late to save my new marriage though. Which won't help things because...hey, stress adds!
DressageSweetie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote