View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi dorynoel,

I read your previous post. You are truly in a compromising situation and there really is no comfortable advice to offer you. But since you have posted again, I feel compelled to inform you of at least some things that you may or may not have become aware of through your own research.

Anything that causes additional stress on your system is going to make the Lymes symptoms that much more furious. Which means you really cannot tolerate a chronic infection as it will only cause further burden to your immune system.

There is no question that root canaled teeth harbor necrotic infectious nerve tissue inside the several hundred tiny canals referred to as dentin tubules or accessory canals. This is not a controversial issue, it is an anatomical fact. All dentists know this but because they are not taught to think of it as a systemic health problem, they will repetitively perform the root canal procedure or perform a surgical root canal referred to as an apicoectomy as many times as the patient will allow them to. When root canaled teeth show signs or radio-graphic pathology of an infection it is considered "normal" simply because these things are "typically" seen with root canaled teeth due to the infection brewing inside of those dentin tubules. Antibiotics cannot cure this type of infection as a biofilm of bacteria has formed preventing anything from getting to it. However, the infection is able to proliferate throughout the tooth, into the bone and beyond. This whole process excites the immune system to send cells to fight the infection. Irrelevant of one's health, this process is never healthy but for those who are already compromised with a chronic disease, like Lymes, this chronic infection can make their systemic health very poor.

The only attempt at curing an infected tooth is to remove the tooth. Every other procedure will have no long term positive affect and the infection will continue to compromise the immune system.

Replacement of these teeth will be limited for you due to your Lyme's disease because dental implants would be risky given your health status. You may be a candidate for some removable bridgework or for a removable partial denture. These are things you would need to discuss with your restorative dentist. If you choose to remove these teeth, I urge you to see an oral surgeon to perform the extractions rather than a general dentist. The oral surgeon has much more knowledge and experience in this type of oral surgery and they are use to treating patients with chronic disease and a compromised immune system.

Regarding the rest of your oral health, it is best to take exceptionally good care of your teeth and have preventive exams and cleanings twice a year to prevent anything from becoming a big problem.

I know this is a very difficult situation to be in and I wish I could offer you better news. The most important aspect of all of this is..... what is best for your health ..... and only you can decide what feel that is.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorynoel View Post
Hello. I'm a bit sad that I didn't get any advice to my question in regards to root canal and Lyme. Maybe it was too complicated. So I currently have 4 root canaled teeth and one tooth that I was told would need a root canal if it continues to hurt because the filling is so close to the root already that's there. So say I was to remove all these root canaled teeth plus the one that's hurting, that would be 5 teeth. 3 are all on one side in a row on the bottom. What is the protocol? Am I just supposed to have empty spaces there? Or grandma false teeth? I'm too young. It's embarrassing. What do people do? This is not an easy decision. This is scary to me. But if my teeth are making me sick. ......

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote