Thread: I fell...
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 09:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

When I get up in the middle of the night to trek to the bathroom. I usually sit on the edge of the bed for a while before getting to my feet. I rise carefully on both feet. Fortunately, I have a wall near me when I get up, and if the rising is somewhat unbalanced I can put my hands against the wall. This "wait" is difficult if I have urgency to go to the bathroom. Sometimes I don't quite make it, and the floor gets wet, but I just wipe it up with a towel and sigh, and feel glad that one more time I made it without falling.
I fear falling in part because I DID fall in 2010, down stairs in Seattle. I broke my knee cap. I have described the misery which followed that, dealing with where to live while I recovered. It is amazing that I was not hurt worse in that fall, as I fell down perhaps 8 steps and slid into the wall with my head. I had a catscan at the hospital and my head check out fine, but I had a clean break of my patella.

I exercise every day to work on my balance. This probably helps but not completely.
It's always an adventure, the midnight crossing of the hall.
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NurseNancy (07-07-2014), SallyC (07-07-2014)