View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 10:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's wise to hear about the various plans. Most of us have to find out how these plans work through "experience". There is a sign up at my clinic that Medicare may not pay for breast exams and "talking about" diabetes and another metabolic deficit. In other words, you can't talk about how to manage your diabetes.
The things we DON"T know until they happen are the difficult one, and I realized how difficult when my husband didn't qualify for nursing home for any days at all when he was dying. He would have qualified for hospice, but the social worker at the hospital said I had to pay out of pocket for this. Probably this was because of her ignorance but also because there are not many "Medicare" or "Hospice" beds assigned by our nearby nursing homes. I was getting ready to use up my savings on a Hospice paid for by me when my husband passed on, so I didn't have to pay and he didn't have to endure any more possible indignities.
I got the impression that they didn't operate on rules very closely but just ran by the "skin of their teeth". Medicare also did not pay for more than two days of his hospitalization, as I was told, and it was true. The hospital charged a very high daily fee and thus made up for not being paid for the additional ten days that he was there before he died.
Medicare did not pay for ANY hospitalization when I fell down the stairs and broke my patella. I finally did have a complication while in the "assisted living" where I was recovering, and on that basis was put in a nursing home where I had good rehabilitation.
All of this made me realize how close to financial disaster we live even if we have good "plans' and do our best.
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (07-07-2014), KittyLady (07-07-2014)