View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Confused 19YO with Lumbar Disc Herniations-Advice?

Hi, I'm just looking for some advice if anyone has been in a similar kind of situation? I'm honestly at my breaking point with this whole thing and I just can't deal with it anymore.
I've had back pain for about 2 years, but about 11months ago I developed terrible radiating pain down my left leg. Its like a sharp, burning pain and sometimes I lose feeling in my leg or have that pins and needles sensation. I got an MRI back in October after I lost feeling in my leg and was taken to ER and it said I have a large herniation L5/S1, and L4/L5 as well as milder to moderate herniations in L3/L4 and L2/L3 with some microfracturing of my lumbar vertebrae.
I've been in physiotherapy since November, and on very heavy pain killers but nothing is really working. I used to be very active, I play(ed) high level competitive hockey, field hockey and rugby but now I can't make it through the day without narcotics, it's been 9 months on these pills and I'm worried that they don't even seem to help.
I'm only 19 years old, and I'm terrified about the possibility of back surgery, but I can't keep living like this (if you want to call this a life). It feels like I'm just going through the motions-I can't sleep, my grades have dropped from straight A's to B's and C's but because I don't have a cast, or a visible problem, nobody seems to really care or believe me when I say I'm hurting.
I'm supposed to be going to university in September, but at this rate I just don't know.
I'm sorry if this comes off as whiney, but I'm just not sure I want to keep on living like this if this is the best it's ever going to get. I really miss my sports and my teammates who are like family to me-but going to sit on the sidelines at practice just breaks my heart to not be on the ice/field.
If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it-I just want my life back.
Carol95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote