View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 05:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Daws

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiTBurnett View Post
Anybody had the experience of weaning off Mirapex? Were the side effects of the Mirapex withdrawal worse or the actual return of PD symptoms? I'm going through it - been totally off for a week now.

Just curious whether things will plateau eventually.
Patti
I have not tried withdrawing but lowering my dose of ropinerole after 6 yrs was unpleasant. There is a syndrome associated with withdrawal from agonists which affects some people. Here is one reference with some of the abstract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23686524
Dopamine agonists are effective treatments for a variety of indications, including Parkinson's disease and restless legs syndrome, but may have serious side effects, such as orthostatic hypotension, hallucinations, and impulse control disorders (including pathological gambling, compulsive eating, compulsive shopping/buying, and hypersexuality). The most effective way to alleviate these side effects is to taper or discontinue dopamine agonist therapy. A subset of patients who taper a dopamine agonist, however, develop dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome (DAWS), which has been defined as a severe, stereotyped cluster of physical and psychological symptoms that correlate with dopamine agonist withdrawal in a dose-dependent manner, cause clinically significant distress or social/occupational dysfunction, are refractory to levodopa and other dopaminergic medications, and cannot be accounted for by other clinical factors..........
"Thanks for this!" says:
PattiTBurnett (07-09-2014), soccertese (07-08-2014)