View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 01:45 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Type 2 severe "vise grip" pain in Palate bone only - Hamulus Bursitis?

Is there anyone reading this who may have been diagnosed with Type 2 ("Atypical") TN (i.e. relentless severe vise grip pain every day all the time), but the pain is limited to the palate bone/ alveolar region of the palate bone on one side. I'd be interested to know, thank you.

My pain started with a lot of crowns ("cosmetic dentistry") nine years ago. I have been through the typical & horrendous 'chronic pain career path' that many of you experienced.

The "knob", i.e. small protrusion that connects the palate bone to the sphenoid bone behind the left palate bone is extremely sensitive to touch, and when I touch, the pain increases. In my dental history (deformation of the palate bone by childhood braces), the nerve that runs through this area (through the fossa [nerve canal] of the pterygoid hamulus) was affected then, and it seems it is causing the symptoms now. Other areas that are typical of TN problems (or even glossopharyngeal nerve problems) are not affected.

I'd go to the end of the world if someone knew how to treat this (hamulus surgery?).
Haiku is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote