View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

All the things you're describing are "normal" after TBI.

Some TBI patients experience fainting or syncope following their injury. I did. It is most common at the beginning of recovery.

Sometimes it's the result of TBI-induced glandular dysfunction. It can signal the onset of onset of cranial diabetes insipidus. So, in addition to the fainting, be on the lookout for other diabetes symptoms, including usual thirst and frequent urination. You might ask your neuro to check your hormone levels.

Your neuro might also order some imaging to make sure you don't have a subdural hemotoma putting pressure of the brain. Don't fret, that's pretty unlikely.

Often times these "spells" pass on their own. In the meantime, many people find it helps not to change position quickly. Take your time getting out of bed. You know, lie still for a few minutes after waking, then start to move your limbs gently, then sit up (slowly), stay sitting for a bit, then swing your legs out of bed (slowly), eventually stand up. It's not a bad idea to have something secure to grasp when you stand. A locked walker works great. Don't be shy about using one for this purpose. The most important thing is that you don't fall and hit your head, AGAIN. If you've got problems now....

Defective thermoregulation is another recognized symptom in TBI patients. The good news is that chronic problems with body temperature are very rare. For many, the issue tends it to resolve itself. However, some TBI patients will always struggle when faced with an extreme external temperature. In short, a lot of us don't like July and January.

Personality, mood and behaviour changes are thought to be the consequence of injury to the frontal lobe. They are among the most common, and distressing, symptoms for patients and their caregivers. If I could change one thing about all of my MVA injuries, this would be it. After all, it goes to the very core of what it means to be "yourself" and it can be awful for the people you love.

Again, you are early in your injury and you may well find that your anger and depression dissipate over time.

In the interim, there are things you can do to help. Your doctor might prescribe medication. There is disagreement among the patients here over the efficacy of SSRIs and other mood altering drugs. Do some research and make the informed choice you feel is right for you.

It can help to try and identify triggers for your outbursts. For example, do they happen at the end of the day, when you're tired? If possible, try to avoid situations you can't handle.

Ask your family to back off when you appear to be becoming upset. It is useless to try and reason with an agitated TBI patient. The more they talk, no matter how much sense they're making, the angrier you're likely to get. TBI folks are inclined to rutted thinking and to digging in. Best to leave us alone, and return to the topic when we're more amenable. I am always having to remind my family to "play fair."

You might find it helpful to talk to a psychologist. I would also suggest joining the local support group connected to the Brain Injury Association of America. biacal.org/about-california-brain-injury.htm

The "good" news is that you're aware that you're having TBI-related emotional issues. Some poor souls are so brain damaged that they are robbed of their self-reflection. They don't think - no matter how outrageous their behaviour has become - that anything is wrong. So, you're way ahead of the curve, here.

Good Luck &, again, Welcome to NT
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote