View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Thanks for those answers.

Metformin depletes B12... so you really should take a supplement for it anyway. The newer activated methylcobalamin is best. Take once a day on an empty stomach. It is now in some local stores like Costco, Sam's Club,
and Walgreen's and of course online. Not expensive at all.
Start at 5mg a day and you can reduce to 1mg a day in 3 months if you want.

Also diabetics lose magnesium in the urine...no one knows why but it has been measured. So a good magnesium supplement, (not Oxide form), would be a good idea. Eat good magnesium content foods....nuts like almonds are high and also help maintain low glycemic status for snacks.
This website will help you with foods:
http://www.slowmag.com/
One SlowMag twice a day is the typical dose. This one has good absorption studies for it. WalMart carries this affordably, and there is a generic form called Mag64. (pharmacies can order this form for you).

Other supplements for diabetics include Vit D3 ( it would be good to have a baseline test for this).
Acetyl Carnitine will help with your workouts and glucose issues.
Carnitine helps burn fatty acids for energy in the mitochondria and that is good for low glucose events etc.

Lipoic acid also helps diabetics with glucose control and the mitochondria. It may lower your glucose, so you should test yourself if you use it, and perhaps some of your meds could be lowered by your doctor. But it doesn't do this for everyone. It didn't for me, but some of our posters have lowered their A1C considerably by a whole point or so! The stabilized form of this is better absorbed than the old ALA from the past. This is a good one: 100mg a day is the typical dose.
http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-S...st+lipoic+acid

There is a nice magnesium lotion now, that if you apply to your feet and wrists may help with the tingling you get:
http://www.amazon.com/Morton-Epsom-L...n+epsom+lotion
This is also at WalMart and Walgreen's.
Magnesium is important for pain reduction, conversion of fatty acids to energy, to improve circulation, and reduce muscle fatigue and cramping. Good for diabetics and body building and everyone else!

The reference book I use, lists glipizide as depleting CoQ-10.This also is a mitochondrial energy supplement. And if you are taking a statin which most doctors give automatically to diabetics you are at risk for nerve damage, and CoQ010 is a MUST for you. The new Qunol capsules are improved solubility and one cap of 100mg a day is about equal to 300mg of the older forms.

These are the primary things to try for diabetics. Questions about other things, you should ask before next Tues when I am leaving for a long vacation to an area with no electricity etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prkidd View Post
Thank you for the warm Welcome
I have type 2 Diabetes.
I'm turning 49 tomorrow.
Yes I do take medication oral. Metformin x2 daily 1000mg & Glipizide x2 daily 10mg. My A1C I believe was 79.
I get check every 8wk or so, and my doctor does check my feet, my toe on my left leg is very slowly losing some feelings.
Some times my hands get that feeling of needles.

I'm limit myself from eating carbs that will raise my sugar. As a bodybuilder I need carbs so it's always a balance that I have to juggle. I have been reading about B12 supplements and the other ones as well. I'm hoping with help from the community I can get great information.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (07-11-2014)