View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 04:00 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi MichBlueEagle! I'm sorry to hear you are struggling with multiple health issues at the same time...it makes what is already a hard situation so much more difficult.

I know when I first got sick, the same thing happened to me...testing at GP level indicated 'arthritis' of some type, so they always assume RA or Lupus...I was told probably lupus. Then the Rx for naproxen for pain (which of course doesn't work on this level of pain.)

Then the visits to the rheumatologist begin...hopefully with a correct dx right off the bat...sometimes not--in my case, not. The search for medication to help with the pain, the inevitable prednisone shots or pills to help with pain and inflammation, which are only a temporary respite...usually on to Plaquenil, which works for Sjogren's patients, though they don't quite know why or how.

I think we all go through these stages just like clockwork. Unfortunately, there is no set answer or solution for us. I've had Sjogren's for 23 years now and am still struggling with it.

You are doing all the right things--it just takes time, unfortunately. I'm glad you're off the methotextrate...that is some strong stuff and should be used as a last resort, not a first treatment.

Your first priority is to get your pain under control...it's hard to get better when you are in that much pain. Is the Gabapentin/Nortriptyline combo working for you? When my PN (neuropathy) developed, I was given Cymbalta for the pain, and it worked very well, though I had to discontinue it due to side effects. It's gone generic now, so you might be able to get it cheap.

Plaquenil is the drug of choice for treating Sjogren's..most of us are prescribed it. It is generic and cheap and has very few side effects..I never experienced any, other than the increased photosensitivity.

Sjogren's is diagnosed several ways...my doctor just takes my blood and looks for elevated SS #s, but some are dx'd with a biopsy (lip I believe-I've never had that test). I've noticed that sometimes my eyes are only slightly dry, sometimes horridly dry...it kinda goes through cycles with me, and my SS # is still kinda high.

The best thing to do while waiting for your doctors to diagnosis your other symptoms is to treat yourself with supplements for inflammation. Turmeric, ginger, bromelain, quercitin--all of these are fairly cheap supplements which help your body fight inflammation, which will hopefully help lower the level of pain. I know that when I wanted to quit the prednisone shots, I used these and others to totally do away the pain so I didn't need them any more. Just make sure the supplements aren't contraindicated with your current medications...you can ask your pharmacist or your doctor to make sure.

As for filing for SSDI, you definitely need to begin the process ASAP. At 49, you are highly likely to be denied the first time. I was 49 when I applied, and they said I could still do 'some' type of work, though they acknowledged I could no longer do the work I went to college to train for and that I had been doing for 25 years. That changed when I turned 50--the criteria is different when you enter that age bracket, and made it easier for me to be approved on appeal.

I do feel for you. I didn't have insurance for a number of years, and know very well what an uphill battle you face affording care and medication when your resources are limited.
Breia Lee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote